Monday, July 11, 2011

Going Straight for the Heart

My day in court went straight to the heart. The docket was short with the typical Monday morning assortment of expunctions, non-disclosures, and civil matters. If you've hung-out reading my ramblings over the years, you've learned the courthouse is a daunting place. Not many up-lifting things happen as lawyers argue over motions, plea bargains, damages, and the like. However, this morning was remarkably different. Two babies were up for adoption and an army of family accompanied the soon-to-be parents.

I speculated the couple was unable to conceive children on their own. I don't know this for sure, but the way mom and dad explained to the judge the wonder and excitement of the moment lead me to speculate as such. Some old neighbors of mine were in the courtroom taking pictures and beaming, as well. The judge got hugs and kisses. The lawyer got some, too. I was just inches away from the action and felt myself holding back a desire to jump in and get some love, too, just for being there.

It was a wonderful moment, even for a casual observer. I don't recall the last time I witnessed so many people in one place, happy, and looking toward the future with so much anticipation. I knew those young children were in the best of hands. I knew the couple's dream of a family had just come true. The judge thanked me for patiently waiting my turn as he took his place in photograph after photograph.

It was a great moment in court this morning. The moment went straight to the heart. I was glad to have been a part of it.

No comments: