Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Defending Self-Defense

I'm no lobbyist for the 2nd Amendment, but I do fight for my client's right to defend themselves. Check out this post by Common Folk on "Defending the Self-Defense" case. Although I'd advocate a warning shot, despite Common Folk's recommendation (shoot first, ask questions later), I do agree with their conclusion:
The right of citizens to protect themselves is critically important to our society. It is a right, enshrined in many state constitutions, that needs to be zealously protected by the vigorous efforts of criminal defense attorneys. If the right becomes uncertain, murky, or counter-intuitive, citizens will be reluctant to take action to protect themselves and others for fear of criminal prosecution . . .

The right of self-defense deserves an attorney’s most vigorous efforts.

No comments: