Thursday, March 6, 2008

Cross-Examination Hammerfest

At the end of every bicycle race the hammer goes down. It might be in the last 2000 meters or the last 500. But when it happens everyone hits the gas. You're riding so hard and it hurts so much, it feels like your eyes might pop out of their sockets. However, when you're fit and prepared for the hard jump the pain actually feels good - in a masochistic sort of way.

That's what it was like cross-examining Mr. Big today. It hurt, but it felt good, too. Mr. Big was the principle accomplice who testified for the State during the bank robbery trial I've covered this week. In preparation for his cross I poured over written statements, video-taped interviews, police reports, and everything else I could get my hands on. The main objective was to discredit the witness and develop evidence consistent with our defensive theory. We accomplished both objectives.

This snitch was a liar and it came through. His prior inconsistent statements were legion. He'd cut more deals with Federal and State prosecutors than you could imagine. We were even able to develop a powerful financial motive for him to lie as he admitted my client "ripped-him-off" for $50,000.00 three months before he implicated him in the robbery.

Evidence critical to our defensive theory was established through this witness, as well. Regretfully, I can't share it with you lest the prosecutors are reading this post. Suffice it to say I'll be arguing these facts with great vigor tomorrow in closing arguments.

I appreciate those who are following the trial by reading the blog posts and making comments. Please don't worry about me winning or losing this case. The client is happy with our effort. And if he's happy, then I'm happy - regardless of the outcome.

No comments: